Disclosure: My Big Fat Happy Life is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com
When we visited Yellowstone National Park and Grand Teton National Park last summer we discovered there were several things you definitely needed during a trip to the parks. Could you visit without these items? Yes, but they would make your trip more enjoyable and safer.
Here’s my list of 5 items you need for a trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks:
- Walkie Talkies – When you are driving around Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, you will only have cell phone service when you are in a village. Therefore if you are traveling with other people having walkie talkies are essential. We used them constantly during our trip and even during the drive to and from Yellowstone, especially over the mountain passes. Be sure to have extra batteries too.
- Binoculars – We did not take a pair and ended up purchasing some in the park. Binoculars make viewing wildlife in the parks so much easier. Do yourself a favor and purchase a pair before you leave home.
- Bear Spray – If you will be hiking in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks for your safety you need to have bear spray. You also need to have your bear spray easily accessible because you only have seconds to react, therefore the best place is to wear your bear spray on your hip.
- Bug Spray – Mosquitos were very thick especially at dusk and even in the shade during the day. We made sure to keep a bottle in the car and at our camper.
- Plenty of Water – I love these double wall insulated stainless steel water bottles. They keep your water cold for 8+ hours and they do not sweat! I use my bottle daily and love to take it when I am out and about all day like hiking.